To prune or not to prune – that is the question! Pruning your trees and shrubs is a very subjective decision, and is an extremely important part of any landscape management contract. Professional Grounds follows all industry standards, and goes beyond to implement our own strict quality control standards that must be met for properly pruning trees and shrubs. The type of pruning done on a property will be tailored to that specific property’s needs.
Types of Pruning:
• Shearing Performed when formalized hedges are present.
• Thinning Increases air and light penetration and encourages new growth.
• Heading Back Controls the growth of some plants.
• Regenerative Pruning Includes major thinning, removal of mature canes, and reduction in overall size of plant material. This is typically only done in late winter and where reducing the overall size of mature plants is desired. It can be done to almost all shrubs with the exception of needled evergreens.
• Limbing Up Allows access and/or improves symmetry.
• Sucker Removal Improves plant vigor.
• Deadwooding Improves appearance, safety, and general plant health.
There are a number of other considerations to take when pruning, such as growth habits, flowering periods, and even personal preference. Each of these pruning methods are not needed at all sites. Flowering shrubs will be pruned as appropriate for species and flowering season.
Emergency Response Team & Storm Damage | Tree Services | Playground Maintenance & Construction | Turfgrass Renovation | Annual Plantings & Seasonal Color | Retaining Walls | Drainage Solutions | Pond & Water Feature Management | Perimeter Control | Commercial Landscape Design